How do I configure Matomo without tracking consent for French visitors (CNIL exemption)?
The Commission nationale de l’informatique et des libertés (CNIL), has confirmed that Matomo can now be used to collect data without tracking consent.
There are specific conditions and measures that are necessary to ensure you can benefit from this exemption.
This is an option for both Matomo Cloud and On-Premise versions.
You can use Matomo with tracking cookies for visitors located in France based on the following conditions:
- Anonymise IP
- Disable Live features (Real-time, visitor profile, etc.) in General settings
- Do not use the features “User ID”, Ecommerce, and Heatmaps/Session recordings
- Let people opt-out from being tracked on a page of your website
- Don’t track personal data
CNIL consent exemption recommendations
In order to put in place solutions that respect people’s rights, the CNIL recommends that:
- The lifespan of the tracers is limited to a period allowing a relevant comparison of the audiences over time, as is the case with a period of thirteen months, and that it is not automatically extended during new visits
- The information collected through these tracers is kept for a maximum period of twenty-five months
Matomo exempt from tracking consent in France (blog article)
Read the full list of CNIL recommendations and guidelines
Matomo Analytics configuration guide (French)
Thanks for contacting us! We will get in touch with you shortly.