Heatmap and Session Recording features are bundled together and you may be wondering how to disable the Session Recording feature only. Luckily, there is a way to disable Session Recording alone with a single setting.
Things to consider:
- Disabling Session Recording is applied to all the websites in your Matomo
- All the existing session recordings will be deleted across all the websites
- Heatmaps will still work unless you disable the Heatmaps feature too
Please follow the steps below to disable session recording:
- Login to Matomo as Super User
- Click on « Administration (cog icon on the top right) »
- Click on « Settings > General Settings »
- Scroll down to « HeatmapSessionRecording »
- Click on « Disable Session recording » check box
How to enable Session Recording again?
To enable Session recording again, follow the same steps as mentioned above.
How to prevent super users from enabling this feature again ?
It is possible that a Super User may accidentally enable the feature again. In order to prevent this from happening, below setting could be added to the
config/config.ini.php. Once the setting is added to the
config.ini.php file, the option to Disable/Enable Session Recording will not be available in the user interface anymore. If you’re using Matomo Cloud, you may have to get in touch with our Cloud Support team.