2021 has been an exciting year at Matomo!
We’re grateful for all community members who reported feedback and suggestions, our awesome team of translators for their work, and our Premium features customers and Matomo Cloud hosting customers for their amazing support.
We wanted to share some quick highlights to remind you of the exciting things that happened in 2021.
Matomo continues to develop
In 2021 we released a number of new features including:
The new SEO Web Vitals feature helps you track your critical website performance metrics, which are a core element of SEO best practice.
Measure the performance of your ads without giving up privacy.
This exciting new feature supports privacy and compliance requirements by eliminating the need to put third-party advertising tracking codes on your site. Now marketers can easily import conversion data from Matomo into Google Ads, Microsoft Advertising or Yandex Ads.
Say goodbye to spammers & bots making your data inaccurate and say hello to reliable data.
This powerful plugin provides our self-hosting users various options to prevent spammers and bots from making data inaccurate so you can rely on your data again.
- In 2021 we moved from Matomo 4.1.0 to Matomo 4.6.0, with our new releases delivering over 600 updates to improve the stability and functionality of the product.
Some of our team’s favourite updates in 2021 included:
- Graphs now show a difference for data of “unfinished” and “complete” periods, with unfinished periods now indicated by a dashed line.
- Improvements to Matomo Tag Manager’s debugger – now you can simply enter the URL in a form and click Debug.
- Dashboards now show proportional evolution comparison for incomplete periods (rather than absolute values).
- We also rolled out general bug fixes in Matomo Mobile 2.5 for iOS and Android.
- Continuous improvements to Matomo for WordPress.
In other news
- Au revoir, tracking consent. France’s data protection authority, Commission nationale de l’informatique et des libertés (CNIL), announced that Matomo is now exempt from tracking consent in France (under conditions).
- We lowered the pricing for Matomo Cloud, the starting price is now 19 EUR or 19 USD per month.
- For our self-hosting users, we introduced a 30-day Free Trial for Marketplace Premium Plugins.
If you haven’t explored our Marketplace yet, some of our most popular plugins include:
Matomo Community working together
MatomoCamp 2021 was a massive success thanks to our passionate community, sponsors and speakers. This virtual event was run by the Matomo Community, for the Matomo Community.
Some of the most popular sessions included:
- How to stay compliant with privacy regulations with Matomo
- Use Matomo properly for SEO (German)
- How does risk for a DPO differ from classical risk perceptions?
- Are we there yet? The present & future of surveillance societies
- How to manage a Matomo with millions of pageviews per month?
All MatomoCamp sessions are now available on-demand. Enjoy!
How can you get involved in 2022?
Our mission at Matomo is:
“To create, as a community, the leading open digital analytics platform, that gives every user full control of their data”
Join our mission by writing about Matomo on your blog, website, Twitter, talk at conferences or let your friends and colleagues know what is Matomo.
To improve Matomo in your language, consider contributing to translations.
Thank you for being part of our Matomo community, we wish you all the best for 2022!