Multi Channel Conversion Attribution, also known as Cross Channel Attribution, lets you assign a value to each visit prior to a conversion or prior to a sale. By default, Matomo (Piwik) lets you only know the referrer of the last non-direct visit when a conversion happens. However, in reality, multiple channels contribute to a conversion as a visitor often visits a website several times before they convert a goal. By applying different attribution models, you get a better view on which channels actually lead to a conversion. This helps you finding out where to spend your money best when acquiring visitors.
Multi Attribution is a premium feature which is included in our Cloud-hosted Business plans or you can purchase it on the Matomo Marketplace if you self host Matomo On-Premise. Learn more about all the benefits and features of Multi Attribution.
Viewing the Multi Channel Conversion Attribution Report
Log in to your Matomo and click in the left reporting menu on “Goals » and then “Multi Attribution”.
On this page, you can select the goal you want to see the channel attribution for. If your website or app has the Ecommerce feature enabled, you can see the channel attribution for Ecommerce orders automatically by going to « Ecommerce => Multi Attribution ».
The report lets you select how many days prior a conversion or purchase you want to attribute and you can select various different attribution models to compare.
List of Multi-Channel Attribution Models
You can compare together the following attribution models:
- Last Interaction: The full credit of a conversion goes to the last interaction.
- Last Non-Direct Interaction: The full credit of a conversion goes to the last interaction that was not a direct entry.
- First Interaction: The full credit of a conversion goes to the first interaction.
- Linear: The credit of a conversion is shared equally across all interactions. If there are for example 5 visits, each channel / referrer gets 20% of the credit.
- Position Based: The first and the last interaction get each 40% of the credit. The remaining 20% of the credit are shared equally across all remaining interactions.
- Time Decay: The credit of a conversion is shared across all interactions where more recent interactions become more credit compared to interactions that happened a longer time ago.
You can also apply Matomo segments to the attribution report as usual.
Managing Multi Attribution
The « Multi Attribution » report will be automatically enabled for any new goal you create:
If your website or app has Ecommerce enabled, you will automatically be able to view the attribution for orders in your shop.
When you first install the plugin, Multi Attribution report will be automatically enabled for all of your goals (when you have 50 goals or less).
We compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions in the Multi Channel Conversion Attribution FAQ.
You can get Multi Channel Conversion Attribution for Matomo on the Marketplace.